Elizabeth Nedved

Artist Gallery Back To Directory

Artist Details

  • Elizabeth
  • Kimball
  • Nedved
  • Rudolph James Nedved (Bohemia 1895-1971); immigrated to Chicago as a child with his family; graduated Crane High School; worked as draftsman for Western Electric Company; graduated from Armour Institute in 1921; taught architecture design at Armour Institute; architect; her business partner from 1926 in Nedved & Kimball architects married September 1923 in City Temple Church, London, England
  • n/a
  • Kimball (October 1928-?) son daughter
  • October 26, 1897
  • Chicago, Illinois
  • 1969
  • Winnetka

    Glencoe (Glasner House by Frank Lloyd Wright)

    1937-before 1950: VIrginia
  • Chicago, Illinois
  • Marquette Building, Chicago, Illinois
  • Architect, Watercolorist
  • graduated New Trier High School, Winnetka, Illinois
    1916-1918: Church School of Art, Chicago, Illinois; specialized in interior decorating
    Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois (one year)
    1921-1925: University of Illinois; studied architecture
    Armour Institute, Chicago, Illinois
  • February 3-March 8, 1927: Thirty-First Annual Exhibition of Works by Artists of Chicago and Vicinity, the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois: A Tuscan Farmhouse, watercolor; Praha, watercolor; The Fish Market of Chartres, watercolor

    1927: Second Annual Woman’s World’s Fair, Coliseum, Chicago, Illinois; model nursery and kitchen [with Juliette Peddle and Catherine Heller]
  • "This Woman Has Both a Career and a Husband: She and He Forge to the Front of Architects," Chicago Daily Tribune, May 6, 1928
  • American Institute of Architects (purportedly the first woman member)

    Women’s Architectural Club of Chicago (founded 1927); 1931: President; 1932: Vice President
  • : interior decorator, Marshall Field & Co., Chicago, Illinois

    draftsman, Tallmadge & Watson architects, Chicago, Illinois (while a student at Northwestern University)

    taught watercolor painting, Chicago Architectural Sketch Club

    during World War II: marine engineer for US Nay, Bureau of Ships
  • article on Julie Bachrach's blog
  • parents: Ernest and Jessie Kimball; father owned Kimball’s (a cafeteria, perhaps the first one in the country)

    had at least one younger sibling

    received architectural license 1928

    late 1928, formed partnership with architects John Hamilton and William Fellows